"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt"

18 de febrero de 2014

▪ Letting Go

  
  
CRUMBLING DOWN

Oh, boy, it's actually funny if you stop whatever you are doing right now, and you think for a moment about this tragic thing happening around you. It's actually funny how everything seems to be crumbling down. I mean, it's ok, we all start from scratch, right? So we're just going back to the beginning. It can't be that tragic. Well, the thing is that we start with nothing at all, so now that's where we are going back to. We begin with nothing, but little by little we start building something, something that takes many years to complete.

Honey, it's been a long time coming
And I can't stop now.
Such a long time running
And I can't stop now.

Like this big tower of ours. This tower we built all of us together. We built it high. It started small, it's true, but it got higher as time went by. Well, to be honest, it took me my whole life to build my part of this thing we shared. You know, to get my own bricks, to learn how to use them, where to place them, put them together, make them look nice. It took my whole life.

Do you hear my heart beating?
Can you hear that sound?
'Cause I can't help thinking
And I don't look down.

And now I can't help but laugh at its currently-unfolding process of destruction. Our tower is coming down. But it's ok, it's alright. After all, gravity and all those things do exist out there. And they just do their thing.

And then I looked up at the sun
And I could see
Oh the way that gravity turns for you and me.

If this is someone's fault, it has to be gravity's. Because yeah, everything is bound to fall at some point. That's what gravity does. It brings things down and there's no exception. Nothing can avoid falling down eventually.

And then I looked up at the sky and saw the sun
And the way that gravity pulls on everyone, on everyone.

Nothing can avoid falling down. Yet we build, we go up, we put all our energies into what we care about. Endless time, countless effort, so much sacrifice put into this and then, all of a sudden, its destiny is fulfilled, gravity strikes down, it falls apart. Me, you, them. Brick after brick. They used to be together, but now the whole structure comes apart. One piece falls here, another piece falls there. Each brick ends up in a new place, far from the others. And the funniest thing is that it's not sad at all. Even if it took forever to build this tower, its destruction is not sad.

Baby, it's been a long time waiting
Such a long, long time
And I can't stop smiling
No I can't stop now.

Oh, boy, it can't be denied: we had so much fun building it, building us! So much time shared, so much fun together. But here's gravity and here's our tower crumbling down now. Yet, it's not sad. Its destruction is way more logical than sad. It makes perfect sense. It's well-grounded in the laws of Physics and in the end it's just the way things are meant to be. Things are meant to come apart. The only little problem is that it doesn't seem likely that all that time and effort and sacrifice will ever be devoted again to a new tower. Oh, boy, there's no way I'll build another tower like that, with you all or anybody else. It just doesn't seem likely. We'll just sit here, where we fell. Do our thing. On our own. And that's all there seems to be ahead of us. Oh, boy, trust me, at times that's all you can do. At times you just wait for another miracle to come across your path. Oh, boy, at times you just let go.

Can you hear my heart beating?
Can you hear that sound?
'Cause I can't help crying
And I won't look down.

(2014)
  
  
  

No hay comentarios: